These two words Training and Development and their difference plays a very prominent role for new and existing employees.
These two things create value for both the Employees and the Firm. For Employees, it will be beneficial for them to have practical experience before doing actual work. The Firm will also get the benefit of doing fewer mistakes from employees.
Training and Development Key Difference
Training and Development is a part of HRM . In this post, you will get the Complete Training and Development PDF Notes. If you want to get the Complete HRM Notes, You can Click here.
So, without wasting your time, let’s jump into the Difference between Training and Development.
|Basis of Difference||Training||Development|
|Meaning||It is the process of enhancing the skills of an employee to do a particular job,||It is an education process as it tries to enhance one's ability to understand and interpret knowledge in a useful way.|
|Scope||Individual Employee||Work Group, organization|
|Goal||Fix Current Skills Deficit||Prepare for Future Work Demands|
|Time Frame||Immediate||Long-term Job|
|Methods Involved||On the Job and Off the Job Method Training||Decision Making Skills, Interpersonal Skills, Job Knowledge, Organizational Knowledge, General Knowledge and Specific Individual Needs|
|Learning||Specific Job Related Information||General Knowledge|
|Cost||It's cost nothing because this training will also benefit the efficiency of the firm.||In Development, sometimes Employee have to pay the charge for Consultation, development etc.|
|Benefit||Benefit for short-term||Benefit for the long- term|
Now, I believe that the Difference between Training and Development in HRM has been cleared to you.
Concept of Training and Development
Firstly discuss the Training.
After Employee has been selected for various jobs in an organization according to HR. Then, training has been provided to them to perform a specific job. That Training provides the employee a great importance to learn the work before they actually do.
The major outcome of the training is the learning. In this, the Trainee learns new skills, new habits, useful practical knowledge and many more.
Now come to the Development part.
Development is the result of experience. We gained the knowledge from the Experienced Employees. It focuses more on the personal growth and It is also more future-oriented.
Along with the Difference between Training and Development in HRM, there are also some similarities which are as follows-
Similarities between Training and Development
Instead of Differences, there are also the similarities between them which is as discussed below:
- These both things provide us the practical knowledge of the corporate which elevate the capability of the employees.
- These both increases the performance of the employees.
- These also helps them to do less mistakes from them.
- These both gives to all the Experienced and Fresher Employees.
- These both can be done in many ways according to their methods.
These point shows that Instead of Difference between Training and Development, there are also Similarities.
There are basically two methods of training that are –
- On the Job Method Training
- Off the Job Method Training
On the Job Method Training-
On the Job Training is the method which is for both fresher and as well as experienced employees. It’s basically conducted in the firm not outside. It is further separated into the following parts-
- Job Instruction Training (JIT)- In this method, there is a trainer who instructs the trainee to do a specific job. It is divided into 4 steps-
|Overview of Work tell by the Trainer|
|Demonstration of that work|
|Then, the trainee will copy the trainer’s way|
|Then, the employee does the job independently.|
- Coaching- In this training, the trainer teaches the work in form of coaching/ lecture to the trainee. In Coaching, the trainer learns the work to the trainee in a less practical manner.
- Mentoring- In this type of training, there is a mentor to give the training to the trainee. Mentor also acts as a counselor for the trainee so as to maintain the work-life balance.
- Job Rotation- In Job Rotation, the Trainer rotates the jobs of the trainee in different heads of the same dept. The benefit of this is to know the work of every head.
- Apprenticeship Training- An Experience Guide is invited to Apprenticeship Training. The Guide spends some time with the trainees and shares their valuable experience.
- Committee Assignments- In this, the management conducts a meeting in which a group of people known as the committee came with the assignments. The main motive of that this meeting is to solve those assignments.
Off the Job Training-
This type of training is quite opposite of On the Job Training. This is also allocated into further categories-
- Vestibule Training- In this type of training, the trainer creates an Actual scenario by the experiments. The Trainer stimulate the actual work scenario in trainee’s mind.
- Role Playing- To Fit for a particular post, an Employee should have the required qualities. For that, Trainer upskill the trainer to fit in that role. By this method, an employee becomes a great fit for a particular job.
- Lecture Method- This method is quite similar to the Coaching Method. In this method, the trainer gives them the lecture to enlightened the skill of the trainee.
- Programmed Instruction- It is a type of Programmed Sheet or Questionnaire which Trainer provides to the trainee. The trainee has to fill the answers so that the Trainer can evaluate the results. That will help them to understand whether there is some more need for training or not.
In Development, there are following methods which are mentioned below-
1. Decision-Making Skills-
It is also segregated into the following methods
- In- basket Method- In this method, the trainee is provided with the no. of papers and files. The trainee has to prioritize these files and gives the solutions to the problems.
- Business Game Method- Games engage more peoples whether they are children or employees. This is what happens in this method. In this method, the Instructor gives the task to the group of learners. This also helps them indirectly. Either it will increase their Communication skills, patience level etc.
- Case Study- In this method, the Instructor firstly tells the learners about their previous problems and tell them how they solved them. After this, by getting an Idea about this for Trainees. The Instructor gives them a situation or problem and tells them to solve that.
2. Interpersonal skills-
These skills are classified into the following skills
- Role Playing( Already discussed in Off the Job Training)
- Sensitivity Training- The aim of this training is to create the self awareness of employees. In this type of training, the Coach asks some questions from the learner and see their immediate solutions. This is basically not pre-decided.
- Behavioural Modeling- In this method, the Trainer checks the behaviour of the trainee by asking some questions. It can be like questions in which they have to show about their opinions which depict their behaviour. After outlining their behaviour, then Instructor gives the training according to their need.
3. Job Knowledge-
In this, the Trainer gives their Corporate knowledge in the following ways-
- On the Job Experience- In this, the Instructor gives their Own Job Experience. They prepare them by telling how they have done in any situation.
- Coaching (previously discussed in On Job Training)
4. Organizational Knowledge-
It allocated into two more methods-
- Job Rotation (Discussed in the On the Job Method Training )
- Multiple Management Training- In this training, there is a Permanent Advisory Committee who has some organizational problems. Learners have to come with solutions. After evaluating the solutions, these solutions sent to the Higher Level.
5. General Knowledge-
In this, the learner gets the general knowledge in the form of-
- Special Courses- Special courses are provided to the trainees to elevate their skills like Personality Development, Work-Life Balance by the professional institutions.
- Special Meetings- In this, Professionals conduct their meetings. They tell their own experiences and introduce them with the problems or Opportunities they can face in the coming future.
6. Specific Individual Needs-
This method helpful for developing the individual’s performance. It can be in form of-
- Specific Project- In this, a specific project is given to the trainee. The Trainer monitor the trainee’s work from time to time. The firm plans these projects according to their requirements.
- Committee Assignments- (Discussed in On the Job Training)
As You’ve read the methods of training and Development, you’ve seen that there are also some methods which are same in both the Training and Development.
If You like this article, then share this and Comment your Experience from 1-5 Marks to know us how it is helpful to you so that we can improve ourselves next time.
Get the Complete Human Resource Management Notes including Training and Development PDF Notes from clicking here